Carer Visa (Subclass 116)

The Carer Visa (Subclass 116) allows individuals to stay in Australia indefinitely and provides various benefits such as the ability to work and study in Australia, enroll in Australia's public healthcare scheme (Medicare), sponsor relatives to come to Australia, travel to and from Australia for 5 years, and apply for Australian citizenship if eligible. This visa is intended for individuals who wish to come to or stay in Australia to provide care to a family member with a long-term medical condition who does not have reasonable access to care options in Australia.

Frequently Asked Questions

   No, you must be outside Australia when you apply for the Carer Visa (Subclass 116) and when a decision is made on your application.

   The processing time for a new Carer visa application can take at least 7 years based on current planning levels. It’s important to note that processing times can vary and are subject to change.

   Yes, you can include members of your family unit in your Carer Visa application. This includes dependent family members such as your spouse or de facto partner and dependent children.

   Providing ongoing substantial care and support means that you are willing and able to assist your sponsoring relative or their family member with their daily needs, medical condition, and overall well-being. This includes tasks such as personal care, administering medications, attending medical appointments, and providing emotional support.

   You will need to provide evidence and documentation to support your claim that your relative or their family member has no reasonable access to care options in Australia. This may include medical assessments, reports from healthcare professionals, and information on the availability and suitability of care services in Australia.

   While the applicant does not need to undergo a medical assessment, a family member who lives with the sponsor may need to be assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services to determine their medical condition and care needs.

   Yes, the Carer Visa (Subclass 116) allows you to work and study in Australia without any restrictions.

   No, the Carer Visa (Subclass 116) does not provide sponsorship options for other relatives. Its primary purpose is to allow you to provide care to your Australian relative or their family member who needs assistance.

   Yes, if you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for Australian citizenship after holding the Carer Visa (Subclass 116) for a certain period of time.

    Your immigration history will be taken into consideration when assessing your eligibility. Having a visa cancellation or previous application refusal may affect your eligibility, but there are circumstances where you may still be able to apply for a permanent visa. Refer to “Limitations on applications in Australia” for more information and consult with an immigration professional for specific advice.

Currently, there are no frequently asked questions available for the Aged Dependent Relative Visa (Subclass 114).