The Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403)

About the Visa

The Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) allows you to come to Australia under one of five streams:

This is a temporary visa.


Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)

The candidate might be able to get this visa if he/she:

  • has a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
  • has adequate financial support for himself/herself and his/her family while they are in Australia
  • has adequate arrangements for health insurance for him/her and his/her family while they are in Australia
  • meets health and character requirements
  • meets the requirements of the stream under which he/she is applying for the visa
  • If he/she is in Australia when he/she applies for the visa, he/she must hold a qualifying visa.

This visa is not for representatives of foreign governments or foreign government agencies who are accredited by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), such as diplomats, United Nations agency executives and consular officials.

  • If the candidate is applying in Australia, He/she must hold a current temporary substantive visa, but not any one of the following:
  • Temporary Work (international Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream unless he/she is applying for a further subclass 403 visa in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream; or
  • Transit visa (subclass 771); or
  • A Special Purpose visa.
  • The candidate needs to have the financial capacity to support himself/herself and his/her family while they are in Australia.
  • The candidate must meet certain health requirements.
  • The candidate is responsible for all his/her health costs while he/she is in Australia.
  • The candidate must meet certain character requirements.
  • The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

Requirements for:


What visa lets you do?

This visa allows you the following privileges:

  • to enter Australia temporarily
  • to do the work or activity specified in his/her visa application
  • To enter and leave Australia while his/her visa is valid.
  • work for his/her sponsor (Seasonal Worker Program stream only)
  • anywhere in Australia if he/she works in horticulture
  • In limited locations in tourism (accommodation), sugar cane farming, cotton farming or aquaculture.



From AUD 280

Privileges and Immunities stream – From AUD 0

The candidate might not need to pay the visa application charge if any of the following apply:

  • he/she holds a valid diplomatic, official or service passport and have a Third Person Note from his/her government
  • he/she has been accorded, or expect to be accorded, privileges and immunities and be recommended by the Foreign Minister for the grant of a visa
  • He/she is in a class of persons specified by the Minister in a legislative instrument, such as a Fulbright scholar coming to Australia as part of your scholarship.

The candidate must provide evidence to show that his/her application is exempt from the visa application charge.

The candidate might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. He/she is responsible for making the necessary arrangements.


Processing time

  • Seasonal Worker Programme: 2-4 days
  • Government Agreement: 22-34 days




* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.

Consult migration agent in your area