The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) 

About the Visa

This visa is for people who want to travel to Australia to:

  • Do Short – term, highly specialized, non- ongoing work.
  • In limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests.
  • Generally the stay period allowed isup to three months but up to six months may be considered in limited circumstances if supported by a strong business case.


Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)

The candidate can apply for this visa if he/she wants to enter Australia to:

  • do short-term, highly specialized, non-ongoing work
  • in limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests

While he/she is in Australia, he/she must be able to support himself/herself and his/her family members who come with him/her to Australia. He/she might be asked to provide evidence of funds.

The candidate must meet certain health requirements.

The candidate must meet certain character requirements.

The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.


What visa lets you do?

This visa allows:

  • to stay in Australia while his/her visa is valid (generally up to three months, but up to six months may be allowed in limited circumstances)
  • to do short-term, highly specialized, non-ongoing work for which he/she was granted the visa
  • in limited circumstances, He/she can participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests
  • Can bring members of his/her family with him to Australia, if they meet the requirements for including family members in his/her application. His/her family members will not be allowed to work in Australia.



From AUD 280


What you must not do if you hold this visa


  • You r work or activity must be non-ongoing. This means that you can finish it in six months or less.
  • You do not make arrangements to stay in Australia any longer than that. You also should not agree to being rotated through a position on a short-term basis as one of a number of overseas workers. Instead, he/she needs to consider a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)if the position is ongoing, even if his/her contract is for less than six months.
  • You usually cannot work in the entertainment industry on this visa. There is more information in Working in the entertainment industry.
  • You work or activity cannot have an adverse impact on the employment, training opportunities or conditions of employment in Australia.

As a highly specialized worker, you cannot study for any course that either:

  • leads to finishing a primary or secondary education programme
  • leads to a degree, diploma, trade certificate or other formal award
  • Could be credited towards or accepted as a prerequisite for a course of studies at a higher educational institution in or outside Australia. The only exception is a language training programme.
  • Generally, you cannot undertake training on this visa. You might be eligible for the Training visa (subclass 407)if he/she wants to do workplace-based training.

This visa does not allow a person to:

  • perform as an entertainer in Australia or support an entertainer or group of entertainers performing in Australia
  • Direct, produce or take any other part in a production that will be shown, broadcast or performed in Australia (including theatre, film, television, radio, concert or a recording).

If you has a ‘No further stay’ condition on his/her visa, you cannot apply for a different type of visa while you are in Australia, except in extremely limited circumstances. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which you visa ends.


Processing time

12-19 days




* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.




Consult migration agent in your area