Temporary work (Skilled) Visa- Subclass 457 (REPEALED)
Subclass 457 is no longer in force. You may find information on TSS visa subclass-482 for Skilled visa instead of subclass 457.
About the Visa
The Australian 457 visa (Temporary Business Long Stay) is a temporary work visa that allows employers to sponsor overseas workers to fill nominated skilled positions. The 457 visa is currently the most common pathway of business sponsorship for overseas workers.
457 visa applicants must have an employer willing to sponsor them as part of the visa application process. Employers must meet specific sponsorship and nomination criteria before the prospective employee can apply for a 457 visa.
A 457 visa is valid for up to four (4) years and work experience gained in Australia on this visa may lead to permanent residence either through sponsorship by an eligible employer or the skilled migration program.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
In order to qualify for a 457 visa, applicants must have an employer who is willing to sponsor them. There are three steps in the visa application process:
- Employers must ask and get the approval to sponsor and recruit overseas workers. Once it is approved, the validity is 3 years and it allows the business to nominate as many positions as required during that period.
- Employers must nominate each of the positions they wish to fill with an overseas worker. The nomination must relate to an occupation which meets a minimum skills threshold covering managerial, professional, associate professional and trade occupations. The nominated position must also be paid a minimum salary level as specified in a Gazette Notice and satisfy other basic requirements such as evidence of equivalent terms and conditions of employment.
- The overseas workers identified to fill the vacancy must apply for a 457 visa to enter and stay in Australia. The applicant must demonstrate they have skills to match the nominated position and must be offered employment at not less than the salary indicated in the nomination application.
- The applicant is also required to satisfy certain health and character requirements to meet the 457 visa criteria.
In cases where an applicant does not have a sponsor, there is the ability to lodge an Expression of Interest through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) SkillSelect database. This step allows prospective employers and also the state/territory governments to view applicant details and offer sponsorship.
What visa lets you do?
The visa allows you to:
- work in Australia for a defined period of time
- bring members of your family unit to work or study in Australia
- Travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.
Processing fee for immigration: 20AUD
What you must not do if you hold this visa
You cannot apply for this visa if you already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition.
6 months- 10 months
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.