The Sponsored Family stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600)
About the Visa
The Sponsored Family stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is intended to be used by people seeking to come to Australia to visit family. The Sponsored Family stream requires formal sponsorship of a visa applicant by an Australian citizen or permanent resident. In some cases, a security bond may be requested.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
To be eligible to sponsor an applicant for the Sponsored Family stream, the sponsor must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- aged 18 years or over
- Settled in Australia for a reasonable period, usually two years.
The sponsor must also be one of the following:
- He/she must be a relative (partner, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or the ‘step’ or adopted equivalent of any of these)
- He/she must be a relative of a person who is a member of the family unit of the applicant and who is also applying for a Sponsored Family Visitor visa
- He/she must be a member of an Australian Parliament (Commonwealth, state or territory)
- He/she must be an authorized person representing the Australian Government, state or territory department or instrumentality
- He/she must be a local government mayor.
There are no provisions for fiancés, in-laws, cousins, or friends to provide a sponsorship. Special Category (subclass 444) visa holders, eligible New Zealand citizens, New Zealand citizens and New Zealand permanent residents are also not able to sponsor an applicant under this visa subclass.
Sponsors must complete a sponsorship form (Form 1149) listing all members of the family unit they are sponsoring. The sponsorship form must be lodged by the sponsor in Australia together with a visa application (Form 1418), or attached to an online application, for each visa applicant. The correct visa application charge must be paid for each applicant.
The Sponsored Family stream also enables departmental officers to request a security bond, which may be forfeited if the visitor breaches visa conditions.
The amount of the security bond is determined on a case by case basis and usually ranges from AUD5000 to AUD15 000 per person.
It must be paid in full in Australia before a final decision can be made on the application.
Refunds are arranged once the visitor has left Australia having complied with all visa conditions. Information on refunds is provided at the time the bond is requested.
The security bond may not be refunded if the visitor stays longer than the period authorized on their Sponsored Family stream even if the sponsored family visitor is granted another temporary or permanent visa.
What visa lets you do?
The Sponsored Family stream will usually allow a stay of three months, but may allow a stay of up to 12 months in certain circumstances. The Sponsored Family stream will generally only allow a single entry into Australia.
The aim of the Sponsored Family stream is to:
- accommodate the many requests from relatives in Australia who want to guarantee their nominated guest will leave Australia before the expiry of their visa
- reduce the high non-return rates for applicants from some countries
What you must not do if you hold this visa
The Visa Hold must avoid the following:
- He/she must NOT work in Australia
- He/she must NOT study for more than 3 months while in Australia
- He/she must not stay more than the allowed period
- He/she must NOT stay in Australia after your visa expires.
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.