The Refugee visa (subclass 200)

About the Visa

The Refugee visa (subclass 200) is for you if you are outside Australia, are living outside your home country and are persecuted in your home country.

To be considered for resettlement in Australia under this visa, you would usually need to be referred by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to the Australian Government.

The Refugee visa (subclass 200) is a permanent visa.

Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)

The candidate might be able to get this visa if:

  • He/she outside Australia
  • He/she is living outside his/her home country
  • He/she is persecuted in his/her home country.

If a member of the candidate’s immediate family was granted this visa in the past five years, they can propose him/her for this visa under ‘split family’ provisions. He/she can find more information at Proposing an Immediate Family Member (‘Split Family’).

The candidate must meet certain health requirements.

The candidate must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country he/she has lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after he/she turned 16 years of age.

The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

The candidate might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

What visa lets you do?

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows you:

  • to stay in Australia indefinitely
  • to work and study in Australia
  • to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • to access certain social security payments
  • to apply for Australian citizenship (after he/she has lived in Australia for four years)
  • to propose family members for permanent residence
  • To attend English language classes.

If the grantee wants to travel outside Australia, he/she will need to get a travel document. After five years, he/she will need a Resident Return Visa to re-enter Australia.


There is no visa application charge for this visa.


Other subclasses under this visa category include




* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.

Consult migration agent in your area