The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)
About the Visa
The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) allows someone who is not a New Zealand citizen to live in Australia with a family member who:
- is a New Zealand citizen, but not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen
- and either
- holds a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is living in Australia, or
- Is eligible to hold a Special Category visa (subclass 444) and is accompanying you to Australia.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate might be able to get this visa if:
- He/she is not a New Zealand citizen
- He/she is a member of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen
- His/her New Zealand citizen family member is not an Eligible New Zealand Citizen
- His/her New Zealand citizen family member is living in Australia on a Special Category visa (subclass 444)or will be travelling with you to Australia and will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival.
The candidate must be related to the New Zealand citizen as one of the following:
- their partner
- their child/step-child or their partner’s child/step-child
- The dependent child of you or your partner’s child/step-child.
The candidate must meet certain health requirements.
The candidate must meet certain character requirements.
The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
What visa lets you do
This visa will allow the child to enjoy the following privileges:
- to travel to and from, or stay in Australia with their parents until a decision in made on the parent’s permanent visa application
- to work and study in Australia
- To travel to and from and stay Australia while the temporary visa is valid.
A Dependent Child visa holder is eligible to enroll in Medicare once they have lodged an application for a permanent Partner visa. Medicare is Australia’s scheme for health related care and expenses.
From AUD 330
The candidate might have to pay additional costs for:
- additional applicant 18 and over
- additional applicant under 18
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.