The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
About the Visa
The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to be with their only near relatives.
Your application must be made outside Australia and you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate might be eligible for this visa if:
- His/her (and His/her partner’s) only near relatives live in Australia
- an eligible near relative or their partner will sponsor him/her and all family members included as applicants in his/her application
- He/she has someone who will provide an assurance of support
- He/she and his or her family members meet health and character requirements.
The candidate should not apply for this visa unless you believe you are likely to be successful, because the visa application charge will not usually be refunded if his/her application is refused or withdrawn.
The candidate’s near relative is his/her parent or his/her partner’s parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister; child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in his/her or his/her partner’s daily care and control.
The candidate’s sponsor must be his/her parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners. They must agree to give him/her support, accommodation and financial assistance for his/her first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any family members included as applicants in his/her application.
The candidate’s sponsor must be:
- 18 years of age or older; and
Do not apply for this visa if:
- The candidate or his/her partner have any near relatives, who are usually living outside Australia, or are only living in Australia on a temporary visa, Bridging visa or unlawfully.
- The candidate’s sponsor (or their partner) was the holder of, or sponsored someone else for, a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835or subclass 115), Preferential Family visa (subclass 104) or Family visa (subclass 806).
The candidate must meet certain health requirements.
The candidate must meet certain character requirements.
If the candidate is 18 years of age or older, he/she must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that he/she will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
What visa lets you do?
This is a permanent visa. It allows the grantee and his/her family:
- to stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- to apply for Australian citizenship (if he/she are eligible)
- To travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time he/she will need to apply for another visa if he/she wants to return to Australia.
See information, including eligibility for government services and benefits, Australian permanent residence information.
The candidate will not be able to sponsor any other relatives for a Remaining Relative visa.
From AUD 3,945
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.