Contributory Aged Parent Visa (permanent) (Subclass 864)
About the Visa
This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.
You could apply for the Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) before this visa. Applying for the temporary visa and then this permanent visa costs more but the costs are spread across the two visas over a longer period of time.
You could also apply for an Aged Parent visa (subclass 804). The subclass 804 visa costs less than this visa but there can be long waiting times of up to 30 years.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate’s child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
The candidate must be at the age where he/she is eligible for an Age Pension in Australia. Information on the pension age is available on the Department of Social Services website.
The candidate must be sponsored. Usually, this will be his/her child who must be:
- 18 years old or older
- A settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
The candidate must be able to obtain an Assurance of Support
The candidate must meet our character requirement.
The candidate must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.
The candidate might not be eligible for this visa if he/she has had a visa cancelled or refused while he/she was in Australia.
Additional eligibility – if the candidate does not hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
The candidate must meet the balance-of-family test. This means that:
- at least half of his/her children live permanently in Australia
- More of his/her children live permanently in Australia than in any one other country.
What visa lets you do?
This is a permanent visa. It lets you:
- to stay in Australia indefinitely
- to work and study in Australia
- to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- to sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- to travel to and from Australia for five years
- to apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
From AUD 19,750
This visa is paid in two parts, called instalments
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.