Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary) – Subclass 173
About the Visa
This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.
If you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).
Applying for this temporary subclass 173 visa before the permanent subclass 143 visa lets you spread the costs of your migration over a number of years.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate’s child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
The candidate’s child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
The candidate must be sponsored. Usually, this will be your child who must be:
- 18 years old or older
- A settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
If the candidate’s child is under 18
A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.
Sponsors have financial and other responsibilities.
The candidate must meet the balance-of-family test. This means that:
- at least half of his/her children live permanently in Australia
- More of his/her children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.
The candidate must meet our health requirement.
The candidate must meet our character requirement.
The candidate must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.
The candidate might not be eligible for this visa if he/she has had a visa cancelled or refused while he/she was in Australia.
What visa lets you do?
This visa lets the grantee to enjoy the following privileges:
- to live in Australia for up to two years
- to work and study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
- to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- To travel to and from Australia as many times as he/she wants for two years from the date the visa is granted.
- Apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).
The grantee cannot extend or re-apply for this visa.
From AUD 31,670
This visa is paid in two parts, called instalments
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.