Aged Parent visa (Subclass 804)
This visa lets parents of a settled Australia citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.
There can be long waiting times of up to 30 years for this visa.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate’s child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
The candidate must be at the age where he/she is eligible for an Age Pension in Australia.
The candidate must be sponsored. Usually, this will be his/her child who must be:
- 18 years old or older
- A settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- If your child is under 18.
A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.
Sponsors have financial and other responsibilities.
The candidate must meet the balance-of-family test. This means that:
- at least half of his/her children live permanently in Australia
- More of his/her children live permanently in Australia than in any one other country.
The candidate must be able to get an Assurance of Support
The candidate must meet our health requirement.
The candidate must meet our character requirement.
The candidate must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.
The candidate might not be eligible for this visa if he/she has had a visa cancelled or refused while he/she was in Australia.
This is a permanent visa. It lets the grantee to enjoy the following privileges that follows:
- to stay in Australia indefinitely
- to work and study in Australia
- to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- to sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- to travel to and from Australia for five years
- To apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.
- Information about social security payments.
From AUD 6,010
This visa is paid in two parts, called installments:
- First installment – from $3,945 – paid on application.
- Second installment – $2,065 for each applicant – paid when we ask you to.
You might have to pay other costs
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.