Adoption Visa (Subclass 102)
About the Visa
The Adoption visa (subclass 102) lets a child come to Australia to live with their adoptive parent. The child can already be adopted or be in the process of being adopted. The adoptive parent sponsors the child for this visa and usually applies on their behalf.
This is a permanent residence visa. If the adoption is through a state or territory adoption authority, you can lodge the application before the adoption is finalised.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The adoptive parent usually presents the application for the visa on behalf of the child
These are the requirements for the child to be eligible for the visa:
- He/she must be younger than 18 years of age
- He/she must be living outside Australia
- He/she must be either already adopted or in the process of being adopted by their sponsor
- He/she must meet health and character requirements
- If the child is under 18 years of age at the time of application, but will turn 18 before the application is decided, he/she will not be eligible for this visa.
The child must also be sponsored by an adoptive parent who is:
- an Australian citizen
- the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or
- an eligible New Zealand citizen
This visa will not usually be granted if it is against the best interests of a child younger than 18 years of age.
You must meet certain health requirements.
A child older than 16 years of age must meet certain character requirements. They must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country they have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after they turned 16 years of age
The child must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.
What visa lets you do?
It allows the child to enjoy the following privileges:
- to travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
- to work and study in Australia
- to enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- to apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
- to sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- to travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia
From AUD 2,415
The candidate might have to pay additional costs for:
- additional applicant 18 and over
- additional applicant under 18
What you must not do if you hold this visa
The child must comply with all Australian laws and all visa conditions. This includes:
- entering Australia by a set date
- not getting married or entering into a de facto relationship before arriving in Australia
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.