A Carer visa (subclass 116)
About the Visa
A Carer visa (subclass 116) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to provide substantial and continuing care or assistance for a relative who either:
- has a long-term medical condition that means they cannot look after themselves in practical aspects of daily life, or
- Needs permanent or long-term practical support to help them care for a member of their family in their household with such a medical condition.
The relative must not be able to reasonably obtain the care they need from any other relative or from welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.
Who are eligible (Eligibility and requirement)
The candidate might be eligible for this visa if:
- He/she needs to move to Australia to:
- care for a relative in Australia with a long-term medical condition, or
- Assist a relative in providing this care to a member of their family unit living in their household.
- His/her relative(or their family member) has their medical condition assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services as being one which significantly affects them in attending to the practical aspects of daily life and which will need direct care for at least two years
- His/her relative cannot reasonably get the care they need from any other relative in Australia or from welfare, hospital or nursing community services in Australia
- He/she is willing and able to provide substantial and continuing assistance
- He/she should fully understand what kind of care or assistance your relative needs
- He/she and his/her family members meet health and character requirements.
The candidate can apply for this visa if the relative who needs care or assistance is usually resident in Australia. The relative must be his/her partner, child, parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew (or step-equivalent).
Both this relative (and the member of their family who needs care, where applicable) must be either:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- An eligible New Zealand citizen.
The candidate must meet certain health requirements.
The candidate must meet certain character requirements
If the candidate is older than 18 years of age, he/she must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that he/she will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
The candidate must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
What visa lets you do?
It lets the grantee and any of his/her family members who have been granted this visa to enjoy the following privileges:
- to stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- to apply for Australian citizenship (if he/she is eligible)
- To travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time he/she will need to apply for another visa if he/she wants to return to Australia.
From AUD 1,625
* This is the DIBP prescribed cost of the application. This does not include Migration agent’s fees. To obtain the current fees, kindly refer to the above link or DIBP website.